Thursday, May 5, 2016

Socratic Seminar Morrie Reflections

5/4/16
Book: "Tuesdays with Morrie"
Prompts:
1.) Explain how the past four Socratic Seminars have influenced your thinking about Tuesdays with Morrie and life in general.

2.) What trends did you notice with yourself and your personal goals for each seminar? How did your personal goal(s) change and what did you actively do to change throughout our last four discussions?

3.) What trends did you notice with the class for each seminar? What did you notice that helped or hindered a specific seminar?

          I think that just the book alone opened up my mind and my heart a great amount. With all of the socratic seminars that we had it opened me up even more. It helped me notice more and more features of the world and what everyone and everything has offer to the world. Now I consider more pieces of nature and how we take it for granted. I see how beautiful everything is and how the wind moves the tree in a rhythm. Morrie is the science behind all of my thinking. He is the one who helped me realize everything. My classmates, as well, were a huge part of it. They helped clarify some aphorisms and many pieces of the book. I think that the socratic seminars were 50% of what got me thinking. It helped me open up in ways I never knew I could.

          The trend with me was that I seemed to, slowly but surely, contribute more to each seminar. The trend with my personal goals did not change at all. My goal for every seminar was to be able to contribute more to the group so I would be able to achieve a four. I tried my best but it always seemed like when the seminar came I had nothing to contribute. The seminars did open my eyes but I think I could of contributed more so I would learn and take more from them. The last seminar I think
was my best seminar because I talked a lot more than all of the others and I had a lot to say.

          The firt seminar there were some gaps in some of my classmates explanation as well with me. We talked mostly about the book and connections that we had made. Aphorisms were a big topic in the first seminar. With each seminar we began to shy away from aphorisms. The second seminar we began to realize that there were gaps and we tried our best to fill them in. The third seminar was one of our best/worst one. It was our best one because we went off topic and started making lots of connections to other people, events, places, etc. It was our worst one because none of us have ever went off topic in a seminar and not everybody made the same connections as other people. The fourth one was I think our best one because we did sometimes go off topic but most of the time we stayed on topic and made a plethora of connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment